Translate

Wednesday, February 5, 2020


Replace the catalytic converter and both oxygen sensors on a Honda Accord

A friend of mine who started out as a client called me the yesterday.
He asked for my advice on his Honda Accord.
You see, he lived in Ventura for a long time but has moved to Tucson Arizona now and it’s an inconvenience for him to drive all this way back to get the work done on his vehicle. However, it doesn’t stop him from calling us for a second opinion. One which I’m glad to provide.

A mass merchandiser of the area checked the check engine light on his car. Codes P0420 and code P0430 were stored in memory.  They surmised the need for the catalytic converter and both the up-range, and post cat oxygen sensors.

He gave me a quoted price and asked if it was fair. I said it was but only if it was needed. I suggested that since they were asking for the converter as well as both oxygen sensors (which suggests fishing for an answer to me), why not replace both sensors first and then, drive the vehicle.

If the check engine light continues to come on with the same codes, then replace the converter.
Let me preface this, I suggested real testing to be done first. In the absence of it, then start with the sensors.
 He called the repair shop back to let them know what he wanted to do. And this is what they said,
They would replace the oxygen sensors but, they could not warranty them if the Catalytic converter caused them to fail. Say what!

Either they are completely ignorant and don’t know what they are doing or, they are flat out fraudulent using scare tactics to pressure the client into purchasing something they may not need?

It is not possible for a catalytic converter to cause an oxygen sensor to fail! It’s always the other way around. Mind you, If the converter were to hand grenade and in the explosion, take the sensor, then I suppose it’s possible.

Either way, it angers me when someone in our profession does something that stupid as people tend to generalize and judge auto repair based on their worst experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment