Translate

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Lexus F 350 Sport problems



How much does it cost to re-flash my computer?
May I ask why do you think you need to have the computer on your vehicle re-flashed?
I have a 2002 Lexus and have already replaced (elsewhere) both catalytic converters, the oxygen sensor, the mass air flow sensor and the throttle position sensor. I had them put new spark plugs and did a fuel injection service. After all these parts replaced, my vehicle continues to fail the smog test. They tell me the monitors are not resetting and all I can think of is the computer needs to be re-flashed.
I’ll be glad to give you a quote to reflash the computer but, how about changing strategies and doing the right and logical thing instead.
What do you mean?
It seems to me that somewhere along the repair road, you took a wrong turn and just kept going (Yes, I love the line from a Bruce Springsteen song (Hungry Hearts)). He sure wasn’t happy when I told him “the most expensive repair, is the one you didn’t need”.
So! How about if we first diagnose why this Lexus is unable to reset the monitors and then we can offer you a quote to properly repair it.
Well! I’ve already spent over two thousand dollars to fix it and still have nothing to show for it. You must take care of me! I don’t have any more money to pay for on this vehicle.
I really wanted to tell him that I had nothing to do with the largely misguided expense on his vehicle. He had ill-spent the money elsewhere but, considering the nature of the complaint, I had to begin the quote between two to three hours to find the answer.
Oh no! You can’t charge me that much! I’ve already spent over $2,000.00 and I don’t want to spend any more on this,,,,, car!
The client left without any further ado as he felt we had the moral obligation to help him get his car to pass smog. He somehow couldn’t understand the immense effort required to train a technician to reach the level of professionalism required to diagnose complicated problems correctly and consistently. And he couldn’t understand that for us to be here to repair our client’s vehicles, we have to charge for our time, equipment use and knowledge.  


No comments:

Post a Comment