Translate

Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Impossible expectations.


Impossible expectations:

The phone rings and I am the next in line to pick up a call…
On the other end, the caller starts by telling me he is an auto mechanic (RED FLAG NUMBER ONE) who does his own work and was recommended to us as a shop that “wouldn’t rip you off” (RED FLAG NUMBER TWO).
Anytime I hear the conversation start like that, I know I’m dealing with someone with severe trust issues.  They were hurt before or felt they were and now they tend to measure everyone with that same judgmental stick.

He proceeds to tell me he has a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX and has done everything to the vehicle under the sky in order to try and correct an engine misfire.

He has replaced the injectors, the ignition coils, the spark plugs, the camshaft and crankshaft sensors, the oxygen sensor and the mass air flow sensor for good measure.
He has removed the heads and replaced the head gaskets, did a valve job (sent it to a machine shop) to no avail. The intermittent engine miss continues to pop up from time to time. That miserable check engine light continues to haunt this self-proclaimed auto mechanic.  Then, he wanted to know exactly what it was and how much it would cost to fix.

I don’t know about you but, I fear working on an auto mechanic’s car.
By the time you get it, every possible thing that could be easy has already been done. What remains is the near impossible.

I first thanked him for calling us and proceeded to tell him we would not be able to take the vehicle. That it was not a good fit for us at this time. My explanation was that it was more work we had time for at this time of the year. I did not want to lose one of my mechanics for that long of a period when we were filled with other jobs for clients who would continue to support us with all their work and not only the difficult to find, fix and quote.
I can’t print here what he said to me. I got a verbal barrage due the fact I was completely honest with him. It wasn’t the car we couldn’t deal with, it was the owner!
Next time I get a similar call, I’ll just give them a six-month appointment. 
Maybe they’ll get the hint and not be so hostile.

No comments:

Post a Comment